Monday, June 23, 2008

Fantastic Bowling Night June 23, 2008

Well holy smokes, did the Favia's have a terrific day today! Jason and I went to an event this evening that was given by Dominique Rhodes, the Colts NFL player that went to Cooper High School here a few years ago, to raise money for Abilene. The event was held at PrimeTime and about 100 people showed up to the event. Well, not only was Rhodes there, a Chicago Bears player, Daniel Manning, also came to the event. Well, for the two people on the planet who don't know this, Jason is a HUGE, MONSTROUS Bears fan. I mean, ENORMOUS.

Well, to tell this tale, I will start at the very beginning. We pull up to the parking lot and Jason says, "Oh my gosh. That's Dominique Rhodes." I had no idea what he looked like (I did know his name though so I think that counts for something). Well then, my husband about fell out of the SUV when he squeals, "OH MY GOSH. That's Daniel Manning!" So we park close to where the players are standing. Jason gets out of the SUV and walks around to where I was standing and Mr. Manning says, "Sup" to Jason, who returned the same greeting. Well, I thought I was going to have to take my husband to the hospital due to a heart attack, he was so excited, and he grinned from ear to ear.

So we get some food and were totally star-struck, watching the NFL players give autographs and take pictures with fans. So we begin to bowl, which was the whole point of the fund raising event. The rules were that every time someone bowled a strike or a spare, we had to go up to Mr. Rhodes and get a card (from a deck of cards). After two games, the person with the best poker hand would win a prize (top three adults and top three kids win a prize).

So let me pause there and say that during the games, I observed both football players just having fun and enjoying their fans. The kids had a ball, jumping all over the players and talking to them. The players also made their rounds, talking with adults that came to the event as well. Well, Jason wore his Urlacher's jersey, a Bears middle line backer (and yes, I did have to ask Jason what his position was). So during one of the games, Daniel Manning came over to Jason and says "Hey Urlacher". The two struck up a conversation and Jason was eating it up and loving every minute. Well, being the dork I am, I gush over my husband's obsession for the Bears and how he is from Chicago. I then asked if I could be a nerdy wife and get a picture with the two of them. And Mr. Manning obliged. Here is the photo. Isn't Jason cute! Wait, he would not be happy I wrote that . . . isn't he manly? The other one is a time that both Daniel Manning and Jason were bowling at the same time. (Jason is on the far right and Manning is on the far left). He was really really nice and down-to-earth.

So anyways, back to the story of bowling. At the end of the two games (I bowled one of the best games I have ever had, a 123, which I was way excited about), I ended up with a full house, fives over jacks. Jason also had a full house, kings over aces. So we turn our cards in and waited for the results. Well, they announced the kid's winners first and it was too funny watching all of the little kids get so jealous of the first place winner who gets a signed autographed football tomorrow night at the fund raising basketball game that is being held at Cooper High School.

Then the adults were announced. The third place was announced who received an 5X7 autographed picture of Dominique Rhodes. Then the second place winner, who received an 8X10 autographed picture of Dominique Rhodes and an 8X10 autographed picture of Daniel Manning was announced. And the winner was Melissa Favia! I could not believe it! What a great feeling. By the way, Rhodes picture says "To: Melissa" on it and Manning's picture says "Good Job Bowling".

Well, after winning second place, I knew then what that meant. Jason had a better hand than I did! So first place was announced and sure enough, Jason Favia won! He about had to be picked up off of the ground due to amazement and excitement! He won an autographed jersey from Dominique Rhodes! Well, the next fifteen minutes or so were spent schmoozing with NFL players, like it was nothing. Manning actually shook our hands and gave us both a congratulatory hug! They kept saying how they couldn't believe a husband and wife team won first and second. Mr. Manning also told Jason he expected him to be at the Texans game this fall from the conversation they had earlier in the evening (Greg and Bobbie, we are going to need a place to stay . . . hint hint!) Jason got to talk with them for several minutes, which was exciting for him and fun to watch for me because of how excited Jason was. So anyways, we left on cloud nine and can't wait until tomorrow night when we will attend the charity basketball game. Jason will be presented his jersey during half-time. You better believe that I will be taking the "proud wife" pictures and posting more about the events tomorrow night so stay tuned!

3 comments:

Jerms said...

HOLY SMOKES!!! I cannot believe y'alls night! That is crazy. Way to go! Who would have thought that bowling skills would come in so handy? And you WOULD spend half the night observing (aka psychoanalyzing and stalking) the players and their interactions. Haha.

Kandy said...

OH, I'm so happy for Jason. I can just picture that big, ol' grin of his. Sounds like you two had a blast!

Kara said...

Ok, was this the thing that you called to see if me and Scott could come with you to?! (Did that sentence make sense?) Anyway, man...we missed it, what a bummer!!!